Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Block Printing


Linoleum block is considered a forms of relief print. It involves inking a raised surface and stamping that image onto a ground. Although Warhol never used linoleum block, it still falls under the general heading of "printmaking" so I cut one. It began with a block that is about 13"x13". Of course, I have to be complicated and remove the negative space. Needless to say, this print took me some time. I printed in an Andy Warhol style and did twelve prints on 14"x14" paper. I was really pleased with the finished product.

Warhol often took the same image repeating it over and over changing things just slightly to make each print different and unique. What drew Warhol to printmaking was the industrial feel and some of the imperfections caused by the printing process. As you can see, no two are the same.

2 comments:

  1. Would you consider his "printmaking" to be similar to stamping? I think what you have done so far is really cool and I have a better appreciation for Warhol the artist now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warhol did not do this type of printmaking. He did a form of Stencil printing. Linoleum block is similar to stamping just not in the traditional sense.

    ReplyDelete