Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fine Arts Festival












Last week I was completely consumed by coordinating the Fine Arts Festival for the School I work for. In the past our department (which is comprised of Band, Drama, Choir, and Art) have had separate shows, and performances to showcase our students. This year we decided to combine them into one festival.

I spent the week leading up to the festival sorting supplies, tagging artwork, coordinating help, and making signs. We had drama, band, and chior performances, traveling mimes, student demonstrations, artwork displays, hands on activities, and even food. It was really quite involved.

The Festival turned out to be a complete success. I learned quite a bit from this experience. First, I realized how interested the community actually is in the Arts, and how important it is to many of our students. Second, I was able to tie this experience to some of Warhol's work. Warhol wanted more than anything for people to notice and recognize his work. He thrust his work in gallery after gallery, in order to showcase his talent and get noticed. In a sense, we as teachers were showing off our students' talents to get our program noticed and promote growth in our discipline. Third, I realized that how helpful some of my students really were when given a meaningful task.

No comments:

Post a Comment