Sunday, June 28, 2009

Warhol Style Screenprints


While I was printing my original screen prints and while the screen was wet, I decided to try printing as Warhol did. I took the same image and repeated it over the ground multiple times. I did not clean the screen, I did not try to print cleanly or precisely, nor did I worry about positioning. I just printed one after another like Warhol. Amazingly, it yielded an industrial looking piece quickly and easily.

When thinking about the process, I realized how Warhol viewed this style of art. Warhol often said, "I want to be a machine." In adopting this style of art, he achieved his goal as closely as he could. A machine can not stop to see the imperfections or reposition the screen or paper for centering. It just prints, over and over, without "looking." In doing this exact process, I gained an understanding of how this type of printmaking process was in fact just like a mechanical process.

1 comment: